“In 1888 a syndicate was entered into by Viscount Bury and Moritz Immisch to build various electrically powered equipment, including boats, using Immisch’s ‘patent electric motors’. Messrs Sargeant & Co., boatbuilders of Strand-on-the-Green, Chiswick, were commissioned by this enterprise to convert an old barge into a floating charging station. William Samuel Sargeant had already been responsible for the design of the first of these electric river launches named ‘Malden’. With a length of 30′ 6″ she was built by Maynards who also had a yard at Chiswick, the Devonshire Boathouse, but the electrical installation was apparently carried out by William Sargeant. The name ‘Malden’ appears to have been chosen for this boat after the address of Immisch’s electrical business, ‘The Malden Works’ at Malden Crescent, Camden NW1. more